- Which LS Motors have cathedral ports?
- Are LS heads reversible?
- Are all LS heads interchangeable?
- Are all LS heads aluminum?
- Why are LS engines so good?
- Is the 6.0 Vortec an LS engine?
- Are 5.3 and 6.0 cranks the same?
- Which LS heads are the best?
- How do I know what LS motor I have?
- How do I know what LS engine I have?
- How much HP can a 5.3 LS make?
- How much HP can a stock 6.0 LS handle?
- Are ls1 and ls2 headers the same?
- What is the best LS engine to build?
- What LS blocks are aluminum?
- What LS motor has the most horsepower?
- Is the 5.3 a good motor?
- What does LS stand for on a Chevy motor?
Which LS Motors have cathedral ports?
So, a good rule of thumb is that LS1 and LS6 engines can only run LS1, LS6, and LS2 cathedral port heads (and their truck equivalents).
LS2 engines, due to the larger 4.000-inch bore design, allows it to run LS1, LS6, and LS2 cathedral port heads in addition to the newer rectangular port LS3/L92 heads..
Are LS heads reversible?
They are reversible. They’re all the same… Just swap your temp sender to the other side. You’ll also need to make sure the plugs in the ends of the heads are on the front.
Are all LS heads interchangeable?
All LS cylinder heads, with the exception of the LS7 heads, are interchangeable among blocks. The LS7 cylinder heads cannot be mounted to other LS blocks, as the wider valve layout would result in valves contacting the bores.
Are all LS heads aluminum?
2. The attractive thing about used 4.8/5.3L iron-block truck engines is their dirt-cheap availability. … All LS passenger-car blocks are aluminum and most truck powerplants use an iron block, although there are several exceptions with aluminum truck blocks.
Why are LS engines so good?
1. Size/Weight of LS engines. … The main reason that they’re such a compact V8 engine is because of their “old-school” pushrod design, as well as all of the modern designs they used when designing the engine block. The push-rod design that they continue to use is unlike almost all modern engines that have overhead cams.
Is the 6.0 Vortec an LS engine?
Although Vortec engines are “LS” based they are NOT LS engines IMO. Besides most Vortec’s being iron block, as seen above there are some serious size differences and considerations depending on your project. VORTEC ENGINE IN CARS: For the most part, it will be challenging to put a Vortec truck engine into a car.
Are 5.3 and 6.0 cranks the same?
due to stroke differences and each had different casting numbers. … The 6.0L crank has the same stroke (92mm) as the 5.3L and 5.7L cranks.
Which LS heads are the best?
The LS6 was designed specifically by GM to surpass the LS1 as the best performance head, and it did such a good job that the “243” casting was recycled on the LS2. Aside from the LQ9, which is a copy of the LS6, these are the best performing of the OEM cathedral ports.
How do I know what LS motor I have?
How to Identify an LS EngineThe 8th digit of the VIN.By visual inspection. The easiest way to tell the difference is to check the 8th digit of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the original vehicle. (See below.) If you don’t have the VIN, you can still identify the engine by visual inspection if you know what to look for.
How do I know what LS engine I have?
Identifying an LS V8 by Vin Letters S to Y all indicate 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles, while numbers 1 to 9 indicate 2001 to 2009. Then look for the eighth digit of the VIN, as that is where the engine VIN code is. Generation III V8 engines in cars will have a VIN code G for the LS1, while the LS6 is S.
How much HP can a 5.3 LS make?
The stock 5.3L is factory rated around 320 hp with 340 lb-ft of torque.
How much HP can a stock 6.0 LS handle?
One of the main things to realize when building a stout LS engine is that the stock parts themselves can easily handle 500 to 600 hp (depending on the engine chosen to start with). Since the crank and rods are cast items, many jump to the conclusion that they need to be replaced for reliability.
Are ls1 and ls2 headers the same?
The LS1, LS6, LS2, LS3 heads all have the same mounting points for headers on the heads/exhaust ports.
What is the best LS engine to build?
The LS3 is the go-to choice for LS engine swappers right now and for good reason; this mill makes great power and is about as reliable as they come. … The CT525 and LS376/515 does away with the standard fuel-injection intake manifold in favor of a carbureted setup.With its iron block, the LSX376-B8 is built for boost.More items…•
What LS blocks are aluminum?
The LS2 was essentially an aluminum version of the 6.0L truck block with flat-top pistons, LS6 heads, and an LS1 cam. It is a great motor for swaps and stroker kits, due to its exceptionally long cylinder sleeves and the power potential of the larger bore. Unlike the iron block, it will only take a .
What LS motor has the most horsepower?
LS7In stock form, an LS7 makes 505 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque making it the most powerful naturally aspirated engine that General Motors has ever put in a production car.
Is the 5.3 a good motor?
The Chevy 5.3 L V8 engine, also known as the Vortec 5.3 or the EcoTec3 is generally looked at as a reliable and trustworthy engine.
What does LS stand for on a Chevy motor?
Luxury SportLS was Luxury Sport and LT was Luxury Touring. LS used to be the high-end (save SS) model back in the ’80s with the CL (Custom Luxury) package.